My World

Monday, July 11, 2005

Trust the professional

If you ever decide to ride your bike to Golden from Arvada, reconsider it if the temperature is 90 degrees and there is a headwind. The concrete Clear Creek path is nice and smooth; however there is a nice smooth concrete wall on your right as the sun bears down on your left. The ride is UPHILL, an it is as HOT AS HADES, even hotter if you are the hapless victim of a hot flash along the way. Such a ride might cause a little voice inside your head to repeat "Bad idea!" over and over as you worry whether you will collapse from a stroke.

Fortunately, the last part of the ride is downhill. On such a ride, you might be tempted to stop at the first park in Golden to rest in the shade of cottonwoods and wade in the cold Rocky Mountain water. However, take my advice and continue until you reach the kayack course, which is across the street from Lyons Park. There are several cool, pristine places to rest, but do not cease cycling before the concession stand where a kindly gentleman will grind up large chunks of clear ice into heavenly snow cones.

It just so happened that Scott and I were at this concession stand yesterday trying to make amends for our lack of cycling judgement. I was parched and shamelessly contemplated calling Hank to come pick us up. As I watched the snow cone man pour and continue to pour what seemed like too much grape syrup on mine, however, I grew certain that my snow cone would be sickly sweet. Skeptical of its quality, I only hoped it would cool me down.

My teeth crunched and my lips curled on the first bite. I sucked to keep bits of ice from falling. Birds sang, the river churned, and angels began trumpeting their horns. Not only was this snow cone cold and refreshing, but it was delicious. Just as Moses parted the Red Sea, the heat of the afternoon lifted, and twenty minutes later, Scott and I were back on our bikes. The ride home was cooler, easier, shorter.

In retrospect, I should not have doubted the judgement of the snow cone man. Had I interrupted with "Whoa, buddy! Slow down on the syrup!" there would have been no snow cone nirvana, no miracle in ice ride back to Arvada.

Moral: Always trust that a professional is capable to do the job right whether it is a teacher, a pilot, an accountant or a snow cone maker. Even if you think you know more, chances are you really don't.