My World

Monday, September 05, 2005

In the mode of writing lists

I really hate it when I complain, because what I'd rather do than whine is find solutions to my problems. I guess complaining is what humans do when we are faced with something that feels beyond our control. What's eating at me is that there have been several changes in personnel at work, the most significant being the loss of an exemplary assistant principal and friend to another school district. Mind you, we still have a great principal left, it's just that Kady was someone with whom I could really be honest without worrying about saying the wrong thing, if you know what I mean. Among other things, we shared similar political beliefs. This is not the case with our head principal, so I feel like I must think carefully before speaking my mind to her. Opposing political view and the workplace do not mix well.

So, I've been in funky negative spiral, but what I'd prefer is to think about the positive. This morning while out on a grand loop bicycle ride with Scott to Panera's, I resolved to write a list of things I love to make up for this bout of self-pity. No long, detailed explanations, just gists.

10 Things I love:

1. The shifting angle of the sun on a crisp morning in the early fall

2. A good sweat, be it on a two hour bicycle ride, on the downhill return from a run along Ralston Creek, or an afternoon of productive yard work

3. Coffee and a puzzle or two (sudoku, jumble, cryptoquip, crossword -- you name it, I'm addicted!) early in the morning before anyone else gets up.

4. Scoring on a shopping spree.

5. The feeling I get when relatives come to visit -- they live in other states and don't make it out here too often!

6. Salt on my watermelon

7. The day after Christmas

8. Family dinners when the teens aren't sulking and they talk

9. Trying a new recipe and getting a thumbs-up response

10. Indulging in a pedicure or a massage


On another note, it seems that I've been "tagged" by Miss Lilly, and that I am thus asked to list my five favorite songs. I'm a bit fickle when it comes to music, so if you ask me again in a week, it's likely to change. Here goes:

5. "Burnin' Love" by Elvis

4. "Cheatin' Heart" by Hank Williams Sr.

3. "Bartender" by the Dave Matthews Band

2. "Eyes of the World" by the Grateful Dead

1. "Summertime" by Gershwin (from Porgy & Bess) -- I love the lyrics and the music, for they make me feel relaxed and droopy-eyed.

Finally, to complete the "tag" I've gotta "tag" five others. . . . Give me a day or two to figure that one out.