My World

Sunday, January 01, 2006

End of an era?

In my defense, let me explain that my children have always written thank you notes. Unfortunately, it's always been on lined notebook paper. . .

I was sitting at the computer the other day when Hank, also known as the surly one, walked in and asked, "What's this?"

In his hand was a stack of fine stationary embossed with his name. Now, I knew good and well at that moment that this could only be something that my mother, a genteel Southern woman of good taste and decorum could have sent. I knew that it must've come in her Christmas care package, and I knew that when wrapping paper had been flying the morning of the 25th, I somehow had missed noticing this thoughtful gift.

"Where did you get that?" I asked.

"It was in the box with the check that Mama Jane sent," he replied. He repeated his initial question.

"It's stationary," I said. After a pregnant pause, it occurred to me that he needed a more concise definition. Clearly, the lad understood little about the history and uses of stationary, so I attempted to explain these things with the purpose of making the connection between it and good manners.

"Why would anyone want stationary, " he reacted dead-seriously, "when there's e-mail?"

He continued to look at me with incredulity, so I added, "And you could probably expect not to receive any more checks from Mama Jane if you forget to send her a thank you note written on this stationary."

Suffice to say, he now understood.

Feeling very enlightened about the lack of schema that Hank possessed on the topic of letter writing, I knew that his younger brother, who is thankfully more affectionate but less astute about worldly things, probably hadn't given a second thought about the embossed stationary that he surely had also received.

The family was in the car on our way out to eat when I brought it up. "Ted, did you receive any stationary from Mama Jane for Christmas?" I asked.

"What's stationary?" he replied. That question prompted me to repeat much of what I had explained earlier to Hank.

When I was done with my lecture he seemed to ponder for a moment before responding. "I thought all of that paper was to make the present feel heavier so I wouldn't know it was a check. You know that people put rocks in presents sometimes."

I heaved a heavy sigh. "Yes, but not if they are mailing the gifts, dear. Nobody wants to pay postage to send rocks!"

A mother's guilt: I can't decide whether it's the "times they are a changin'"or I've just bonked on that one!