My World

Monday, July 03, 2006

Early morning notion

Everything that rises must converge . . .

-- Flannery O'Connor


It's been a long, long time, but for some reason I am compelled to seek this one out. It somehow seems relevant to the inner-workings of my psyche.

Two words have been bouncing around in my brain this morning: control and acceptance. I feel neither wiser nor more enlightened today than I did yesterday, a week ago, a month ago, a year ago, a decade ago . . .

How does one find balance in a greater context that is meaningful to the inner workings of who she is? How does one achieve acceptance with both the self and with those around her? Do the answers lie in the tug and pull of acceptance and control? Accepting the external and controlling the internal?

I think I know the message O'Connor bears to mind.

Like Sisyphus, we roll our big rocks uphill only to find disappointment when they uncontrollably tumble back down the moment we assume our endeavor is completed.