Adolescent friend
I remember as young teens how odd and natural we cantered along our mutual trajectory. I had a sister. She had brothers, and that difference alone left me in awe and wonderment about her world view. Both of us were smart, hyper, and happy to be part of the same crowd.
On most school days, we would find ourselves in the locker room after practice no less energetic, yet content in the moment of being. Once, she taught me to blow my nose in the shower, which most likely would have rendered disgust from my family. It was a very cool skill to learn, and I was overcome with a minor epiphany that a moth must shed its cocoon before it can flutter away. A revelation that what we share with one another enhances our humanity, my mind's eye has held on to that for all of these years.
<< Home